Ellen Vannin is our stories main character. We are introduced to her at the age of 10 and her relationship with her papa (and background of her mother). It is a sad tale that just gets sadder, father and daughter share a close bond until her fathers sudden death. Ellen finds her world turned upside down and having to live life with Aunt Maud, a devout religous woman with 3 children of her own, a sharp tongue and no affection.
It goes from sad to heartbreaking as Ellen goes through life battling on from one heartbreak and dissapointment to another however she soldiers on and must make a life for herself and family.
The book then splits into Ellens life and Aunt Mauds and her sons and goes back and forth although it is easy to follow.
The book is set in the early 1900s and tells the story of a young woman battling to survive against societys attitude. And shows that one womans spirit can withstand heartbreak and tragedy and find acceptance and strength in the most unexpected places.
A really good read, a bit sad and at one point thinking oh my God how much more can possibly happen but it isn't all doom and gloom and a great example of how strong the human spirit can be.
3/5 for me as I wanted more from the ending (you will need to read it to see what I mean).
More Competitions available at
- ► 2020 (95)
- ► 2019 (184)
- ► 2018 (200)
- ► 2017 (138)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- LAST DAY Tami Hoag - Kill The Messenger giveaway (...
- My review on the Authors site!
- Follow Friday (possibly number 4)
- Review Beyong Exile (day by day Armageddon) by J ...
- 30 day book challenge - day 14
- 30 day book challenge day 13
- Review - The Thieves Of Heaven by Richard Doetsch
- 30 day book challenge day 12
- Last week for the giveaway (UK and International)
- 30 day book challenge day 11
- The Blood That Bonds by Christopher Buecheler (rev...
- 30 day book challenge day 10
- Shock horror - I got a kindle
- Review - Ellan Vannin by Lyn Andrews
- 30 day book challenge day 9
- 30 day book challenge day 8
- Review - Day by day armageddon by J L Bourne
- Follow Friday (3)
- 30 day book challenge - day 7
- Wedding Season by Katie Fforde
- The April pre-loved giveaway (don't kill the messe...
- 30 day book challenge day 6
- FREE BOOK ALERT (UK and International)
- Welcome Wednesday Blog Hop
- Tami Hoag - Kill The Messenger
- 30 day book challenge day 5
- Respect the ARC
- 30 day book challenge day 4
- I won I won
- 30 day book challenge day 3
- 30 day book challenge day 2
- Ladies an author would like your help
- Night Warriors by Graham Masterton
- Random Acts Of Kindness in April
- 30 day book challenge (as posted on facebook)
- It's that time again (follow Friday)
- The Field Of Blood by Denise Mina
- Woohoo A zombie book challenge
- Follow Friday
- House Of Silence by Linda Gillard - my review
- House of Silence by Linda Gillard
- Another new author?
- 1st To Die by James Patterson
- ▼ April (43)