Mississippi Trial, 1955 by Chris Crowe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
What a great piece of historical fiction. When I read the review for this I knew I would like it, I love a time to kill and it reminded me of that. A great story that you can learn a bit of history from is a great way for people to learn who don't always hold info reading historical texts.
The story is based mainly on Hiram visiting his grandfather in a small town in Mississippi, a town he loves and remembers fondly. But going back as a teenager shows the town in a very different light from when he was a child. Racism and segregation are in every corner and when a young black boy is murdered Hiram finds himself in the middle of the court case and finding out truths that change his whole outlook in life and his relationships.
The beginning is slow going as it builds up the picture of Hirams family unit but this is important as it reflects hugely on the book and his character when he goes back to visit as a teenager and shows the contrast in how the town is to him now.
It doesn't go into too many nasty details but paints a very vivid and haunting picture that kept me hooked until the last page, 4out of 5 for me.
View all my reviews
Monday, 15 August 2011
Review 0 Mississippi Trial, 1995 by Chris Crowe
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
More Competitions available at
- ► 2022 (90)
- ► 2021 (110)
- ► 2020 (116)
- ► 2019 (184)
- ► 2018 (200)
- ► 2017 (138)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- Review - Love you more by Jennifer Grant
- Review - Colorado Abduction by Cassie Miles
- Review - The colour Of Death by Michael Cordy
- 100 followers giveaway (poll up)
- Review - Zombie Nights by Tom Lichtenberg
- Review - Half-Inch by McCarty Griffin
- Review - The Intruders by Michael Marshall
- Review - Married Lovers by Jackie Collins
- review - Death Row by Mark Pearson
- Review - The Lazy Crew by Jon KuCala
- Horrified - diet book aimed at 6 year olds
- Review - Twelve by Jasper Kent (Transworld Book Gr...
- Review - Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson
- Review 0 Mississippi Trial, 1995 by Chris Crowe
- Review - Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
- Just an FYI
- Review - The Living Dead by various authors
- August Pre-Loved Giveaway is From The Dead by Mark...
- Review - From The Dead by Mark Billingham
- Julys pre-loved giveaway winner is..........
- ▼ August (20)
Post a Comment