Widows by Lynda La Plante
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Blurb from goodreads
Three thieves' widows decide to continue their late husbands' latest burglary . . .
When you read books like this you really wish there was a and a half rating as I dont think this merits a 3 but didn't want to give it a 2 either.
The book starts fabulously well with a great plot of the men doing a robbery and it going horrifically wrong. 2 and a half pages and I was hooked. However this is a classic example of something that starts so well that quickly goes downhill.
The plot is great that the widows take over where the husbands left off and take charge of the plan. However it started going wrong for my by the portrayal of the female characters. In a situation like that they would pull together and do what needs must and in some parts they do. However quite a lot through it they bicker, act childish and like drama queens and I felt it was a poor portrayal of women put into 'a mans situation'.
There was aspects of the book I liked and I am curious to find out how it pans out so if the second books comes along I would happily give it another go but I must say I was dissapointed by LaPlante this time as I felt the women were childish, spoilt and weak when they had the potential to be great. A reluctant 3 out of 5 for me.
View all my reviews
Friday, 29 July 2011
Review - Widows by Lynda LaPlante
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
More Competitions available at
- ► 2022 (90)
- ► 2021 (110)
- ► 2020 (116)
- ► 2019 (184)
- ► 2018 (200)
- ► 2017 (138)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- Review - Confessions of a Corporate Slut by Jacque...
- Review - Widows by Lynda LaPlante
- Review - Private by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro
- Review - Spiral by Koji Suzuki
- Review - Royal Flush by Lynda LaPlante
- Review - Fallen Angel by Maggie Wilson
- Review - The Forbidden Vampire, The Inception book...
- Review - Getting Over Edgar by Joan Barfoot
- Review - I Zombie I by Jack Wallen
- Trixie and some books
- A favour please fellow bloggers
- Review - Monster Story by McCarthy Griffin
- Review - Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts
- Free books
- Review - Posted to death by Dean James
- Julys pre-loved giveaway is Shattered by various ...
- Junes pre-loved giveaway winner is...................
- Apologies re June Pre-loved comp
- ▼ July (18)
Post a Comment