Royal Flush by Lynda La Plante
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Blurb from goodreads
High adventure, furious plotting, blackmail and betrayal...'The Colonel' is rumoured to have masterminded several of the most successful robberies in the UK over the last forty years. But who is he? Edward de Jersey, now a wealthy man, owns a very successful racing yard and stud farm and his pride and joy is his horse, Royal Flush, who he has always dreamed will one day win the Derby. But de Jersey's luck runs out when his trusted financial advisor invests his fortune in a fledgling internet company which goes bust, leaving de Jersey with no capital and mounting debts. In danger of losing everything, De Jersey resurrects his criminal past, turning to the internet to find a team of specialists who will help him pull off the most audacious heist in history.
The book starts by introducing us to Edward de Jersey (the main character) at the Royal Ascot and builds up our character who loves, lives and breaths for his horses. He has a huge racing yard and stud farm which houses his prized horse Royal Flush. In one fail swoop Edwards world is threatened when he faces financial ruin and everything he has achieved he is about to loose. There is nothing else for it but to go back to his criminal roots for one last job to get back in the black.
I didn't think I was going to like this book too much as there is quite a bit of focus on the horse aspect of it but once it got going I loved it. I felt it lagged a wee bit but picked up and became a page turner.
Once it got to a quarter to the end and the big finale had happened I thought it had nowhere else to go but I loved it right up to the last line. Really good read 4/5 for me.
View all my reviews
More Competitions available at
- ► 2023 (64)
- ► 2022 (90)
- ► 2021 (110)
- ► 2020 (116)
- ► 2019 (184)
- ► 2018 (200)
- ► 2017 (138)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- Review - Confessions of a Corporate Slut by Jacque...
- Review - Widows by Lynda LaPlante
- Review - Private by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro
- Review - Spiral by Koji Suzuki
- Review - Royal Flush by Lynda LaPlante
- Review - Fallen Angel by Maggie Wilson
- Review - The Forbidden Vampire, The Inception book...
- Review - Getting Over Edgar by Joan Barfoot
- Review - I Zombie I by Jack Wallen
- Trixie and some books
- A favour please fellow bloggers
- Review - Monster Story by McCarthy Griffin
- Review - Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts
- Free books
- Review - Posted to death by Dean James
- Julys pre-loved giveaway is Shattered by various ...
- Junes pre-loved giveaway winner is...................
- Apologies re June Pre-loved comp
- ▼ July (18)