Monster Story by McCarty Griffin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Synopsis from the authors site www.mccartygriffinbooksonline.com
Christy McCauley has returned home to a surreal nightmare. In the deep hollows of rural Augusta County, something unspeakable is slaughtering people in the night. Authorities don't know if its human or animal, or how to stop it. Christy and her friends only know they must hunt it and destroy it, before it kills again.
As you may have picked up from the synopsis Christy McCauley is our main character, returning home from the big city to the quiet town she grew up in. The people are the same but there is a monster on the loose and the police don't know what to make of it. Is it a bear or some lunatic on the loose, ripping apart the residents. This is a horror story with a few twists (getting a view point from the monster as well as the characters). Early on we follow the monster and it emerging (which I drew my own conclusions and though I knew what it was, I was wrong). This novel can't be just put into the horror category as it has many levels to it, it is certainly a thriller and keeps you on edge but also takes you into the budding relationships between the characters and animals alike (I loved that!). The horror aspect and murders scenes paint quite a picture and are really graphic and quite gory which scores big points for this kind of book
The story has so many heart stopping, tension building moments, I can tell you I lost some sleep as I had to find out how it all turned out. Right up until the last pages it has you gripped and on the edge of your seat. I feel there was definate scope for a prequel with this and if it does come out I would certainly be getting it to find out the origins of our monster.
Engaging, easy to follow and certainly easy to read, I was hooked practically from the beginning - a 4/5 for me.
View all my reviews
More Competitions available at
- ► 2023 (82)
- ► 2022 (90)
- ► 2021 (110)
- ► 2020 (116)
- ► 2019 (184)
- ► 2018 (200)
- ► 2017 (138)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- Review - Confessions of a Corporate Slut by Jacque...
- Review - Widows by Lynda LaPlante
- Review - Private by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro
- Review - Spiral by Koji Suzuki
- Review - Royal Flush by Lynda LaPlante
- Review - Fallen Angel by Maggie Wilson
- Review - The Forbidden Vampire, The Inception book...
- Review - Getting Over Edgar by Joan Barfoot
- Review - I Zombie I by Jack Wallen
- Trixie and some books
- A favour please fellow bloggers
- Review - Monster Story by McCarthy Griffin
- Review - Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts
- Free books
- Review - Posted to death by Dean James
- Julys pre-loved giveaway is Shattered by various ...
- Junes pre-loved giveaway winner is...................
- Apologies re June Pre-loved comp
- ▼ July (18)