I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
What a truly inspiring story!
Aged just 10 years (or approximate) Nujood is taken from her childhood home and happiness and thrust into an adult world of marriage and everything that comes with it. This is the story of a brave young girl who has no choice in anything in her life and is married off by her father to a man almost 3 times her age. Her world is brutally ripped apart as she is taken from her family, childhood and everything she knows and loves to become an adult and cater to her husbands every whim.
Unlike a lot of these stories there isn't a huge focus on the abuse Nujood suffers, there is enough that you are in no doubt what she goes through but the stories main focus is on her life and how she goes against everything her culture and beliefs hold true to stop the hurt and pain inflicted by her religion and family's customs.
Whilst it is sad at parts, this is a story of inspiration and bravery of a young girl who disobeys everything she has been taught for the right to live her life as a child and not be brutalized. Brave steps that opens the gates for others like herself and the potential dishonor upon her family. With only 190 pages this is a thin book and a page turner, I found it totally fascinating, 4/5 for me.
View all my reviews
More Competitions available at
- ► 2021 (110)
- ► 2020 (116)
- ► 2019 (184)
- ► 2018 (200)
- ► 2017 (138)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- review - Garden Of Beasts by Jeffrey Deaver
- Review, Outpost by Adam Baker
- Review - I Am Nujood, Age 10 And Divorced by Nujoo...
- Review - Dial 999! by Les Pringle
- Review - Mile 81 by Stephen King
- Review - Crippen by John Boyne (Transworld Book Gr...
- World Book Night 2011 - Top 100 books
- Review - Bring On The Pain by Swift Smith
- Review - As Good As Dead by Beverly Barton
- Review - Treasure Me by Christine Nolfi
- Septembers Pre-loved giveaway is...
- Review - Origins by Steve Alten
- Winner of the 100 Follower giveaway is........
- Review - Legacy by Danielle Steel
- Review - If I should die Before I wake by Michelle...
- August Pre-loved Giveaway and the winner is..........
- Review - Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson and...
- ▼ September (17)