Outpost by Adam Baker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Blurb from goodreads
They took the job to escape the world.
They didn't expect the world to end.
Kasker Rampart: a derelict refinery platform moored in the Arctic Ocean. A skeleton crew of fifteen fight boredom and despair as they wait for a relief ship to take them home. But the world beyond their frozen wasteland has gone to hell. Cities lie ravaged by a global pandemic. One by one TV channels die, replaced by silent wavebands. The Rampart crew are marooned. They must survive the long Arctic winter, then make their way home alone. They battle starvation and hypothermia, unaware that the deadly contagion that has devastated the world is heading their way...
Definately a book with a difference. The book starts fairly quickly jumping into the action and we are introduced to the characters fairly quickly too. It felt a bit like the andes meets a zombie movie where the characters have to deal with horrific and unthinkable situations.
The characters you either love or hate, I couldn't find any middle ground. There are a few twists and turns and one of the things I really liked was seeing it from the view of someone who is slowly effected by the "virus".
Even up until the end there is action and twists so in all a good read, there are a few things that I didn't like which has brought the rating down but some of those are due to my preferences in this kind of book and the others would spoil the story if I mentioned them so 3/5 for me.
View all my reviews
More Competitions available at
- ► 2019 (184)
- ► 2018 (200)
- ► 2017 (138)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- review - Garden Of Beasts by Jeffrey Deaver
- Review, Outpost by Adam Baker
- Review - I Am Nujood, Age 10 And Divorced by Nujoo...
- Review - Dial 999! by Les Pringle
- Review - Mile 81 by Stephen King
- Review - Crippen by John Boyne (Transworld Book Gr...
- World Book Night 2011 - Top 100 books
- Review - Bring On The Pain by Swift Smith
- Review - As Good As Dead by Beverly Barton
- Review - Treasure Me by Christine Nolfi
- Septembers Pre-loved giveaway is...
- Review - Origins by Steve Alten
- Winner of the 100 Follower giveaway is........
- Review - Legacy by Danielle Steel
- Review - If I should die Before I wake by Michelle...
- August Pre-loved Giveaway and the winner is..........
- Review - Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson and...
- ▼ September (17)