If I Should Die Before I Wake by Michelle Morris
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
A truely horrific story!
Carla is the main character and we are told the story through her, through her puppets, through her as a child and various stages of her young life to present day. The story starts with Carla having a gun on her father as he sleeps and recounts the horrors she has endured at his hands.
I have read a few of these kind of books and this one has unsettled me more than any of the true life ones. The abuse endured is often told in one or two sentences but this is more than enough to visualize what she has went through.
The story jumps an awful lot from present day to her young past with only her phrases as indication it is back to when she was a child which is quite off putting and confusing. She also talks through her various puppets and as letters or just thoughts directed to Jessie who was someone at the school encouraging the kids to talk out against abuse.
It is quite a strange story, more in the way the character narrates than the story which is easy enough to follow. For some reason this book disturbed me more than any other of its type, combined with the way it was written this is why it gets a 2/5 rating.
If you are considering reading this I advise you to prepare yourself as it is quite disturbing.
View all my reviews
More Competitions available at
- ► 2022 (84)
- ► 2021 (110)
- ► 2020 (116)
- ► 2019 (184)
- ► 2018 (200)
- ► 2017 (138)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- review - Garden Of Beasts by Jeffrey Deaver
- Review, Outpost by Adam Baker
- Review - I Am Nujood, Age 10 And Divorced by Nujoo...
- Review - Dial 999! by Les Pringle
- Review - Mile 81 by Stephen King
- Review - Crippen by John Boyne (Transworld Book Gr...
- World Book Night 2011 - Top 100 books
- Review - Bring On The Pain by Swift Smith
- Review - As Good As Dead by Beverly Barton
- Review - Treasure Me by Christine Nolfi
- Septembers Pre-loved giveaway is...
- Review - Origins by Steve Alten
- Winner of the 100 Follower giveaway is........
- Review - Legacy by Danielle Steel
- Review - If I should die Before I wake by Michelle...
- August Pre-loved Giveaway and the winner is..........
- Review - Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson and...
- ▼ September (17)