The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Blurb from the back cover
The terror begins unobtrusively. Noises in Regan's room, an odd smell, the displacement of furniture, an icy chill. Easy explanations are offered. Then frightening changes start in the eleven-year-old girl. Medical tests shed no light on her symptoms, but it is as if a different personality has invaded the child.
Father Damien Karras, a Jesuit priest, is called in. Is it possible that a demonic force is preset in the child? Exorcism is the only answer...
Well as it is Halloween what better spooky book to read than the exorcist (I have the other 2 to read next). I loved the movie but have never read the book. I have mixed reviews about it to be honest. It started fairly slow and had I not seen the movie I may have gotten bored and been tempted to just pass over it I'm glad I didn't. Once things start happening it is interesting but not terrifying or gripping as I would have expected. To be honest some parts of it seemed pointless or just there for the sake of it. However once she started exhibiting extreme signs and the priest became envolved it did pick up. I loved Merrins interaction with "Regan" and the story was pretty good from there on it, however there also opened up annoyances. Without giving too much away I would have liked to have known Merrins past in relation to this book and the hints that were dropped by was left hanging.
I will read the next two and hope it will be revisited there or get some of the answers I am looking for. Not the easiest to read but not the most challenging either, some of it boring, some of it horrific and some exciting and annoying. Also I would personally recommend seeing the movie before reading the book as it might be more cofusing if going into it blank. Definately worth a read although it wont be one of my keepers 3/5 for me.
View all my reviews
More Competitions available at
- ► 2020 (92)
- ► 2019 (184)
- ► 2018 (200)
- ► 2017 (138)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- Review - Zombie Apocalypse by Stephen Jones
- Review - Angels Passing by Graham Hurley
- Review - Legion by William Peter Blatty
- Review - The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
- Review - The Next Thing I Knew by John Corwin
- Review - Bleeding hearts by Elise Title
- Review - 61 hours by Lee Child
- So busy week/new acquired books
- Review - The Devil's Garden by Richard Montanari
- Review - Faked To Death by Dean James
- Review - Passenger 13 by Scott Mariani
- Review - Crazy in Paradise by Deborah Brown
- Review - Dodge The Bullet by Christy Hayes
- Review - Flu by Wayne Simmons
- Septembers Pre-loved Giveaway winners are............
- Octobers Pre-loved Giveaway is I am Nujood, Age 10...
- review - Mercy by Jodi Pcioult
- ▼ October (17)