The Next Thing I Knew by John Corwin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Blurb from Goodreads
When Lucy Morgan drops dead along with everyone else on Earth she refuses to take death lying down even if, technically, her corpse is.
She drags her ghostly social life back from the grave and enlists her friends to figure out the rules of the afterlife. More importantly, they want to discover who or what killed everyone and why the heck anyone would do such a mean thing.
But what they discover changes everything. And if they can't figure out how to put their newfound ghostly powers to work, humanity will be extinct for good.
When I saw this was another apocolaypse type book (and with ghosts instead of zombies) I couldn't wait to read it. There was a few suprises along the way and I wasn't expecting the other entities which was a weird but good suprize. If I had to categorize this book I would put it as a tongue in cheek sci-fi. It also reminded me of an alien book I read in school as a child.
It is easy to read and nothing too over the top or challenging, whilst aimed at a younger (young adult) audience I think if you go into it not taking it too serious you will really enjoy it. The author takes us through the different emotions the ghosts feel from seeing their corpses to rejoining loved ones and starting new relationships and embarking on a journey to discover what has happened and what they will do next. As well as feelings blooming and new relatioships it also examines the other ways the human mind reacts to such devastation. Crazyness, taking religion to a whole new and scary level and even betrayal.
There is so much covered in this book that I think there is something for everyone to enjoy in it although if your very technical minded and take everything serious then this book isn't for you but I really enjoyed it and it was totally different from anything I have read in a long long time, 4/5 for me and I would certainly read more from this author.
Also I would like to thank the author for giving me the chance to read and review this.
View all my reviews
Wednesday, 19 October 2011
Review - The Next Thing I Knew by John Corwin
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
More Competitions available at
- ► 2022 (90)
- ► 2021 (110)
- ► 2020 (116)
- ► 2019 (184)
- ► 2018 (200)
- ► 2017 (138)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- Review - Zombie Apocalypse by Stephen Jones
- Review - Angels Passing by Graham Hurley
- Review - Legion by William Peter Blatty
- Review - The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
- Review - The Next Thing I Knew by John Corwin
- Review - Bleeding hearts by Elise Title
- Review - 61 hours by Lee Child
- So busy week/new acquired books
- Review - The Devil's Garden by Richard Montanari
- Review - Faked To Death by Dean James
- Review - Passenger 13 by Scott Mariani
- Review - Crazy in Paradise by Deborah Brown
- Review - Dodge The Bullet by Christy Hayes
- Review - Flu by Wayne Simmons
- Septembers Pre-loved Giveaway winners are............
- Octobers Pre-loved Giveaway is I am Nujood, Age 10...
- review - Mercy by Jodi Pcioult
- ▼ October (17)
Thanks for the review, Lainy! You're a really fast reader!ReplyDelete