Well as you will have seen from my previous posts I got my books and was delighted (and a bit nervous) to be taking part for the first time in the World Book Night. My books were Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist.
My first book I gave to my friend who pretty much never ever reads and I was surprised how easily he agreed to give it a go. He says he will read it whilst traveling to England and I believe he is going to give it a bash. This is him below with his book (I had to get a picture to prove it actually happened!).
I then went into town with as many as I could carry (as I signed up saying I would take them into work and put one or two as a giveaway on here), and of course I had a few wary people say no thanks. To be fair how often do you get something for free with no conditions or payment attached so I understand people being wary. Anyway I passed them out to strangers and people where very grateful but it was a lovely wee old lady who made my day for me. At first she thought I was trying to sell her the book (she was hard of hearing) and when I explained it was free her voice quivered and she looked like she was going to cry and said she it had been a long time since anybody had given her anything that was free <3 - such a lovely wee lady. She then asked what it was about and I admitted I hadn't yet read it but it had a vampire in it to which she chuckled and said she hadn't had one of them before, thanked me and went on her way.
Then if that wasn't enough I ran into another giver, I couldn't believe it I didn't expect to find anyone doing it in Glasgow or run into them as when I searched I couldn't find any events listed in Glasgow. Anyway I met the lovely Nicola B who was giving away a Roahl Dahl's Someone Like You. You can find Nicola on Twitter @robotnic and check out her lovely website http://www.unculturedcritic.com/
Would I do it again next year? In a heartbeat and I would take most if not all of my books into town and give them out there. Such a great way to introduce people to books or a new author and teach them about World Book Night as it is amazing how so many haven't heard about it!
The giveaway for this book ends tonight at midnight and I will pick and announce the winners tomorrow (giving a chance to any last minute late night stragglers).
More Competitions available at
- ► 2017 (136)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- Review - Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindq...
- ARC - Apocalypse Cow by Michael Logan
- WBN Giveaway - Winners are.......
- My First ever World Book Night (2012)
- Review - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
- World Book Night 2012 - Book Giveaway
- Review - Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
- World Book Night 2012 - Are you participating?
- Review - Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
- ARR - Ugly Beautiful by Seanpaul Thomas Cairns
- Review - Decorated To Death by Dean James
- ARR - What Were Once Miracles Are Now Children's T...
- DRC - Where The Bodies Are Buried by Chris Brookmy...
- Winner of the Author ebook competition is............
- ARC - Lethal by Sandra Brown
- Review - Haunted Love by Cynthia Leitich Smith (eb...
- Author giveaway While I'm still Myself by Jeremy L...
- Review - The Facebook Killer (pt.1) by M L Stewart...
- Review - Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult
- ARC - Fatal Frost by James Henry
- ARC - I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
- Review - I Zombie by Nick Spalding
- Review - The End Of My World by Emma Jackson
- A.R.C - The Boy Who Fell To Earth by Kathy Lette
- April's Pre-Loved Giveaway is Whistle Blower by Te...
- Review - You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz
- March's Pre-loved giveaway winner is
- ▼ April (27)