Call the Ambulance! by Les Pringle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Being an ambulance driver in the 1970s was what most stood out for me when considering this book (I got it from a friend on the mobile library) as I have read a paramedics books before (recent times) and thought one from the past would be a good comparison.
The book is more about Les and how he decided to be a paramedic and his journey from first going and asking for an application form to his struggling to find his feet and bond with his colleagues. There are stories from his early years and whilst it is good to see it from a paramedics eyes I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't read the other book.
This story has a more personal side to it, not just picks from people he has met and situations he had to cope with but also his feelings and musings on them and his career along the way. Still a good story but I expected more in the difference of how they worked then compared to now and didn't really get that which is more to do with my own expectations than the book failing to provide what was on offer. If this is something your interesting in then it is a great starting point, just for me I wanted that wee bit more and would have probably been happy enough if I hadn't read the other book, 3/5 for me.
View all my reviews
More Competitions available at
- ► 2017 (84)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- review - Garden Of Beasts by Jeffrey Deaver
- Review, Outpost by Adam Baker
- Review - I Am Nujood, Age 10 And Divorced by Nujoo...
- Review - Dial 999! by Les Pringle
- Review - Mile 81 by Stephen King
- Review - Crippen by John Boyne (Transworld Book Gr...
- World Book Night 2011 - Top 100 books
- Review - Bring On The Pain by Swift Smith
- Review - As Good As Dead by Beverly Barton
- Review - Treasure Me by Christine Nolfi
- Septembers Pre-loved giveaway is...
- Review - Origins by Steve Alten
- Winner of the 100 Follower giveaway is........
- Review - Legacy by Danielle Steel
- Review - If I should die Before I wake by Michelle...
- August Pre-loved Giveaway and the winner is..........
- Review - Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson and...
- ▼ September (17)