Open to UK and International readers.
You can now contact me/enter the giveaway via my new form Fill out my form!
My review is below
This book was not at all what I expected. It is centered around the Emperor of China and her quest to rid herself and her family of poverty and marrying her unsavoury cousin.
we start at the beginning of Orchids life, briefly one sentence and then the memory of the loss of her father and how her family tries to get him to his respectful resting place with very little funds to do so. With no financial or materialistic prospects the only solution is to marry her 'slope-shouldered cousin' at the age of seventeen and help her family from their dire situation. Orchid puts herself forward to try and become one of the Emperors low ranking comcubines with little expectation of success.
There in follows the trials and tribulations of the phases of selection and the humiliating, trying process of which she feels little chance of success. The story takes you on a rollercoaster ride of emotion as Orchid tries to come to terms with the changes in her life, the competitions and the jealousy and danger the life of a concubine has to offer.
I really enjoyed reading this and learning of different rules/rituals of another country and their journey to ruling. I felt sorry, admiration and sometimes frustration for the main character and ended up not wanting to put the book down to find out what happened to her, did she overcome her enemys or succome to their treachery. A good a griping read once you get into it. 4/5 for me
More Competitions available at
- ► 2019 (168)
- ► 2018 (200)
- ► 2017 (138)
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (91)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (187)
- June Pre-loved giveaway is Empress Orchid by Anche...
- Mays pre-loved giveaway winner is............
- Review - Valley Of The Dolls by Jacqueline Susann
- Review - Tough Love by Kerry Katona
- Review - The Whole Wide Beauty by Emily Woof
- Mays Pre loved giveaway just an FYI - please read
- Review Zombicorns by John Green (ebook)
- Review - Hot Blood And Cold Ashes by Jude Atkins
- Review - The Fight Of Our Lives by William J. Benn...
- Review - The Burning Wire by Jeffery Deaver
- Review - Diary In The Attic by Cindy L. Freeman
- Get caught reading!
- Review- Holding On To Heaven by Keta Diablo
- Review - Belle by Lesley Pearse
- Review - Before I Say Goodbye by Mary Higgins Clar...
- Have your read more than 6 of these books? ......
- 30 day book challenge day 16
- May Pre-loved giveaway is Promise Me by Harlan Cob...
- Review Promise Me by Harlan Coben
- Aprils pre-loved giveaway winner is..................
- 30 day book challenge - day 15
- ▼ May (21)